Five-Day Classroom Training – Early Childhood, Ages 3-8
This five-day course provides a theoretical foundation as well as hands-on opportunities to assess and teach preschool and early elementary-aged children on the autism spectrum in a demonstration classroom setting. The premise of this foundation is an understanding of the learning styles of individuals with autism and how to use teaching strategies that capitalize on learning strengths.
An emphasis is placed on the use of Structured TEACCHing principles and other evidence-based practices to teach young children with autism, skills in the areas of communication, social and play, stress reduction routine and coping strategies, and early academic skills.
Participants will have an opportunity to apply these strategies with students of varying ages and developmental levels in a classroom setting during group and individual activities. The training includes presentations, small group discussions, demonstration classroom activities, and hands-on experiences for five consecutive days.
At the completion of training, participants will be able to:
- Understand the unique learning styles of young children on the autism spectrum.
- Conduct informal assessments to set learning objectives and monitor progress.
- Create meaningful and individualized visual structure for children with autism in both individual and group settings.
- Implement Structured TEACCHing strategies to facilitate communication, social and play skills, and early academic skills.
- Engage in behavioral problem-solving and implement antecedent-based strategies to reduce behavioral difficulties.
- Develop and implement stress reduction routines and coping strategies.
- Implement strategies for working and collaborating with families of children with autism spectrum.
This course is designed for educators, psychologists, speech-language pathologists, as well as others interested in educational strategies and intervention programs for preschool and early elementary-aged children on the autism spectrum.
Visit our Training Calendar for available dates & times