TEACCH Five-Day Trainings
Additional Five-Day Classroom Session:
October 28 – Nov. 1, 2019. Register Now
Just posted – TEACCH Five-Day Training: Adolescents and Adults
Transitioning To Vocational, Residential and Community Settings –
October 14-18, 2019. Register Now
The TEACCH® Autism Program’s five-day course provides a theoretical foundation as well as hands-on opportunities to assess and teach individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in a demonstration classroom setting. The premise of this foundation is an understanding of the learning styles of individuals with ASD and how to use teaching strategies that capitalize on learning strengths. An emphasis is placed on the use of Structured TEACCHing principles to teach individuals with ASD skills in the areas of academics (literacy and numeracy), communication, independence, social and leisure, vocational, relaxation and coping strategies.
Participants will have an opportunity to apply Structured TEACCHing principles to teach students of varying functioning levels in a classroom setting during group and individual activities. The training includes presentations, small group discussions, demonstration classroom activities and hands-on experiences for five consecutive days.
Objectives – At the completion of training, participants will be able to:
- Understand the unique learning styles of children and adolescents with ASD
- Conduct informal assessments to set learning objectives and monitor progress
- Create meaningful and individualized visual structure for students with ASD in both individual and group settings
- Implement Structured TEACCHing strategies to facilitate development of skills in the areas of academics (literacy and numeracy), communication, independence, social and leisure, and vocational
- Conduct a behavioral assessment and implement problem solving approaches to reduce behavioral difficulties
- Develop and implement relaxation and coping interventions
- Implement strategies for working and collaborating with families of individuals with ASD
The Five-Day Classroom Training is offered for one week in the Spring and several, week-long sessions in the Summer in various locations across North Carolina. During the Summer sessions, there are two different age groups offered: Early Childhood (ages 3-8) and Elementary through High School (ages 6-21). We also offer a five-day hands-on training in the Fall called Adolescents and Adults with Autism: Transitioning to Vocational, Residential and Community Settings Five-Day Training. See links to the left for more information.