Five-Day Classroom Training – Elementary through High School, Ages 6-21
This five-day course provides a theoretical foundation as well as hands-on opportunities to assess and teach school-aged children on the autism spectrum in a demonstration classroom setting. The premise of this foundation is an understanding of the learning styles of individuals with autism and how to use teaching strategies that capitalize on learning strengths.
An emphasis is placed on the use of Structured TEACCHing principles and other evidence-based practices to teach children and adolescents with autism, skills in the areas of academics, communication, independence, social and leisure, stress reduction routines and coping strategies, and vocational.
Participants will have an opportunity to apply these strategies with students of varying ages and developmental levels in a classroom setting. The training includes presentations, small group discussions, demonstration classroom activities, and hands-on experiences for five consecutive days.
At the completion of training, participants will be able to:
- Understand the unique learning styles of children and adolescents on the autism spectrum;
- Conduct informal assessments to set learning objectives and monitor progress;
- Create meaningful and individualized visual structure for students with autism in both individual and group settings;
- Implement TEACCHing strategies to facilitate communication, academic skills, social and leisure skills, work behaviors and vocational skills;
- Engage in behavioral problem-solving and implement antecedent-based strategies to reduce behavioral difficulties;
- Develop and implement stress reduction routines and coping strategies; and
- Implement strategies for working and collaborating with families of individuals on the autism spectrum.
This course is designed for educators, psychologists, speech-language pathologists, as well as others interested in educational strategies for teaching elementary through high school-aged children with autism.
Visit our Training Calendar for available dates & times