Five-Day Training: Adolescents and Adults Transitioning to Vocational, Residential and Community Settings
This five-day course provides a theoretical foundation as well as hands-on opportunities to assess and teach adolescents and adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in vocational, residential, and community settings. The foundation focuses on understanding the learning styles of individuals with ASD and how to use teaching strategies that capitalize on learning strengths. An emphasis is placed on the use of Structured TEACCHing principles to teach adolescents and adults with ASD skills in the areas of communication, daily living, social, leisure, and vocational activities.
Participants will have an opportunity to apply these strategies by teaching adolescents and adults with ASD of varying functioning levels. The training includes presentations, small group discussions, model activities, and hands-on experiences for five consecutive days.
- Increase their understanding of the unique learning style of adolescents and adults with ASD and its impact on learning and behavior
- Learn to conduct informal assessments to identify the individual’s strengths, interests, and learning styles to develop individualized and effective teaching strategies
- Create activities using Structured TEACCHing strategies that facilitate the development of skills in the areas of communication, daily living, vocational, social, and leisure
- Learn an antecedent-based problem-solving approach to understand and reduce behavioral challenges. This approach combines an understanding of the individual’s learning styles and developmental level with the use of evidence-based practices of visual supports
- Learn strategies for working and collaborating with families of individuals with ASD
This course is designed for educators, transition facilitators, psychologists, direct care staff, vocational and residential providers, as well as researchers, clinicians, and others interested in working with adolescents and adults with ASD.
Visit our Training Calendar for available dates & times