- This event has passed.
Transition through Adolescence to Adulthood: Self-Advocacy, Sexuality and Behavior Management Training – Parents and Caregivers Only
September 8, 2017 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Transition through Adolescence to Adulthood: Self-advocacy, Sexuality and Behavior Management
A Workshop for PARENTS & CAREGIVERS ONLY (Pittsboro)
This one-day training includes presentations and discussion groups focusing on typical issues in adolescence and adulthood and how these issues interact with the characteristics of autism.
Upon completion of this training, the participant will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the issues of typical adolescence and young adulthood and how these issues can be complicated by autism
- Apply Structured TEACCHing strategies in a variety of contexts
- Integrate visual structure for independence with choice-making opportunities and self advocacy
- Understand some of the sexual needs and issues faced by adolescents and young adults with autism
- Apply problem solving strategies for behavioral issues which occur in this developmental phase
Target Audience: This workshop is for North Carolina parents of adolescent and young adult individuals with ASD, ages 12-30 of all developmental levels.
Mary E. Van Bourgondien, Ph.D., Clinical Director Chapel Hill TEACCH Center
Katie Brady, LCSW Autism Specialist, Chapel Hill TEACCH Center
Fees, Registration & Cancellation Policy
This parent information session is being offered free of charge.
Should you need to cancel your registration, please notify the TEACCH Training Office as soon as possible. At a minimum, we request an email notification stating your intent to cancel registration 72-hours before an event’s start date. We appreciate you notifying us of your cancelation so that another parent/caregiver can attend the workshop.
Registrants are not considered cancelled from a training event unless an email is sent to the TEACCH Training Office at TEACCHtraining@med.unc.edu. Please include the training title, location, date(s), and your full name in the email. A registration is considered cancelled once you receive a written confirmation of cancellation from the TEACCH Training Program.
CEUs: CEUs are not available for this course.