- This event has passed.
Sensory Friendly Science: Friday Family Night at Museum of Life and Science
July 13, 2018 @ 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
A special evening event for families with sensory processing challenges
Museum of Life and Science – Durham, NC
Enjoy an evening of science discovery together at the Museum of Life and Science. Starting at 5:30pm, the Museum will open exclusively for visitors with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and other related sensory challenges and their families.
Admission includes access to all indoor exhibits, as well as some of our most popular outdoor experiences: Butterfly House, Dinosaur Trail, Farmyard, and Hideaway Woods. Climb aboard the Ellerbe Creek Railway for a sensory-friendly train ride. Grab a bite to eat at our Southern Harvest Food Truck. Staff and volunteers from UNC TEACCH Autism Program will be on-hand to welcome and assist guests.
Other helpful hints:
- Tickets for sensory-friendly train rides available for purchase during the event and based upon availability. Train tickets are offered at a reduced rate of $3 per person.
- Cool-down areas and visual supports will be available throughout the evening.
- The outdoor exhibits, Explore the Wild and Catch the Wind, will be closed for the evening so that our animals can get some rest.
- Both Museum stores will be open.
- Our café food truck, Southern Harvest, will offer tasty eats for purchase.
- Friday Family Night is a rain or shine event. However, the train is weather dependent and will not run in the rain.
- No advance registration required, but feel free to let us know you’re coming through our Facebook page. And be sure to share with your friends!