T-STEP Frequently Asked Questions
- Twice weekly class (1 ½ hour for each class period) including group discussions, role plays, and workbook activities.
- One-hour meeting every other week for internship and goal planning with a T-STEP counselor.
- One-hour meeting for counseling (Self-Advocacy, Higher Education or Career Exploration), with a T-STEP counselor.
- Approximately two hours a week working in their T-STEP internship.
During the summer, the T-STEP is a 6-week program meeting 4 days/week for a total of 12-14 hours per week.
- Goal Achievement Skills – These modules involve choosing and working towards the individual’s goals in several areas of their life.
- Executive Function Skills – These modules target approaching tasks in an organized manner, time management and flexibility.
- Emotion Regulation Skills – These modules target coping with stress and accepting corrective feedback.
- Social Skills – These modules target speaking up for yourself and getting answers and information you need, and social skills for college and work.
Currently, this program is being offered at Wake Tech Community College (Raleigh), Central Piedmont Community College (Charlotte), Pitt Community College (Greenville)(ages17-21), Cape Fear Community College (Wilmington), and AB Tech Community College (Asheville). The T-STEP program will not be offered every semester at each college. Across the next year, the T-STEP will be offered at each of these sites at least once. We cannot guarantee a specific semester for program participants. Please refer any potentially eligible individuals to the T-STEP Program as soon as possible so that we can confirm which colleges will be able to provide the program during the next year.