Skip to main content


A medical provider or doctor trained to work with children. They give medical care, referrals to other kinds of care, and talk with other people who give medical care. Sometimes they will diagnose autism.

A medical provider or doctor trained in mental health and medicine for mental health. They can give medication that helps with behavior challenges that are part of autism, ADHD, depression, and anxiety.

A mental health provider trained in child development, autism intervention, and working with individuals and/or families. They offer autism support and intervention. A psychologist will diagnose autism.

A therapist trained in speech, communication, early play, and some feeding.They work on speech and communication delays, practice early play skills, and may work on swallowing/eating problems. An SLP might work with the school or other providers to make a care plan.

A therapist trained in daily living tasks (physical, social, play, self-care), feeding, and sensory. They work on tolerating sound, touch, smell, and taste problems, work on fine motor skills like writing or holding things, help expand a child’s food choices if texture or smell is a problem, and help with learning self-help skills. An OT might work with the school or other providers to make a care plan.

A therapist trained in gross motor (running, jumping, walking, toe walking, posture). They work on motor issues like posture, toe-walking, and walking and running skills.

A therapist trained specifically in ABA therapy, could be a licensed provider (BCBA) or a non-licensed provider (RBT). They work on play, social and communication skills, and behavior challenges and many give many hours a week of therapy. ABA therapists may talk to or with other providers. You can get ABA therapy in your home or at ABA offices.

A professional who provides support in finding and keeping a job for a person with autism. They help autistic young adults and adults with job challenges.

A person who helps guide the creation and collaboration of a care team or coordinates a treatment plan. They help with the creation and navigation of the care team.

Examples: Private insurer; MCO; CDSA; ASNC Resource Specialist, TEACCH Resource & Referral Specialist

A person who provides childcare for a young child (infant through preschool), childcare can be at a daycare center, in-home, or with a friend or family member. Sometimes daycare or babysitters are the first to see delays or late milestones. A daycare can be a place where your child gets services. Daycare can help with social and communication goals – when a provider tells them what to do.

School-based services are available for ages 3 and older. Teachers or EC coordinators may create education plans, provide school-based services, or coordinate services received at school. Schools can give help for autism in many ways. A teacher or an EC coordinator might help you by putting together a school team to help your child, help you get the right help at the school, and talk with your providers from outside the school.

A person in the college setting (four-year or community college) who can provide support in the college setting. At college autistic students may still need help to do well. Some services end when they graduate high school but a professor or coordinator can help autistic young adults get help to do well at college.

People in your faith community can be social support when you are having hard times. They can also help by being friends for the family and the child.
Other parents of autistic children can help you learn more about autism, find good providers, and be friends with you and your child.

At work there are ways to help an autistic person do their best. They may get help from a boss or a co-worker or find friendships with co-workers.

Help with transportation needs, they may help by babysitting and giving parents support during hard times.
Help with transportation needs, they may help by babysitting and giving parents support during hard times. There may be cousins who can play with your child.
Friends with kids who can play with your child, help babysit, or help when you need transportation.