- Complete a Five-Day University of North Carolina TEACCH Autism Program training led by TEACCH staff within past five years
- Complete a University of North Carolina TEACCH Autism Program Beyond the Basics: Advanced Applications of TEACCH Principles and Practices Seminar (formerly called Advanced Topics Seminar) led by TEACCH staff within past five years. Potential applicants need to wait at least six months following completion of the five day training before applying for the Beyond the Basics Seminar.
- Implement one year of TEACCH principles and practices in your work setting (post-five day).
- Document, request and submit a formal application, after the above steps have been completed, including a portfolio with video samples, work samples, and/or performance evaluations and the certification fee of $1000.
- Send copies of your TEACCH Five-Day Training and Advanced Topics Seminar certificates to TEACCH Certifications at TEACCH_Certifications@med.unc.edu including an overview of where/how you have been implementing TEACCH principles in your work setting.
- The portfolio will be reviewed, and an on-line written and a Skype oral examination will be scheduled by the TEACCH review team
- If the examination is passed, applicants will receive a Letter of Acceptance, a Letter of Agreement and a certificate
- The certification is valid for three years, with a three-year recertification
- Use the title of TEACCH® Certified Practitioner
- Share information and consult on TEACCH principles/practices within own work setting and, if part of job description, within broad work setting (e.g., school district)
- Be a member of a TEACCH training team if approved by a TEACCH Director
- Demonstrate activities to professionals within their own work setting (e.g., classroom, clinic)
- Have your name listed on TEACCH website as a TEACCH Certified Practitioner
- Receive consultative Support (2 hours per certification period—no charge)
- Utilize discounts (10%) to TEACCH-sponsored conferences, and workshops in North Carolina
- A certificate will be mailed to the applicant upon payment of the certification fee and completion of a signed agreement.
- Cannot train other professionals to be a TEACCH Certified Professional (but, as noted, can be a member of a TEACCH training team)
- Cannot train, formally teach or conduct workshops on TEACCH Principles/Practices
- Enrollment fees for 5-Day and Beyond the Basics: Advanced Applications of TEACCH Principles and Practices prerequisite trainings
- $1000 Initial Certification Fee
- Within the three year period of certification, attend 16 contact hours of continuing education activities in ASD, including:
- A minimum of 8 hours in TEACCH sponsored workshops, such as the TEACCH Annual Conference and TEACCH Topics: Trainings and seminars that are advanced beyond Structured TEACCHing.
- An additional 8 hours can be from any other ASD workshops or conferences
- A list and brief description of activities carried out during the certification period related to TEACCH practices plus evaluations by supervisors
- A new three year certificate will be mailed upon payment of the recertification fee
- $225 Recertification fee plus cost of attendance at continuing education programs every three years
For additional questions or more information, please contact:
TEACCH Autism Program - CB#7180, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7180
Email: TEACCH_Certifications@med.unc.edu | Phone: 919.966.7003 | Fax: 919.966.4127