This five-day course provides a theoretical foundation as well as hands-on opportunities to assess and teach adolescents and adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in vocational, residential and community settings. The premise of this foundation is an understanding of the learning styles of individuals with ASD and how to use teaching strategies that capitalize on learning strengths. An emphasis is placed on the use of Structured TEACCHing principles to teach adolescents and adults with ASD skills in the areas of communication, independence, personal care, social and leisure, vocational, relaxation and coping strategies.
DATES: September 25 - 29, 2017
Participants will have an opportunity to apply these strategies through teaching adolescents and adults with ASD of varying functioning levels. The training includes presentations, small group discussions, model activities and hands-on experiences.
- Understand the unique learning styles of adolescents and adults with ASD
- Conduct informal assessments to set learning objectives and monitor progress
- Create meaningful and individualized visual structure for adolescents and adults with ASD in vocational, residential and community settings
- Implement Structured TEACCHing strategies to facilitate skills in communication, personal care, independence, social and leisure, vocational
- Conduct a behavioral assessment and implement problem solving approaches to reduce behavioral difficulties
- Develop and implement relaxation and coping interventions
- Implement strategies for working and collaborating with families of individuals with ASD
Continuing Education Units (CEUs): 3.3 CEUs are available upon completion of the entire course.
Target Audience: This course is designed for educators, transition facilitators, psychologists, direct care staff, vocational and residential providers, as well as researchers, clinicians, and others interested in working with adolescents and adults with ASD.
Location: The Carolina Living and Learning Center - 325 Russet Run, Pittsboro, NC